The SC NYTD team has compiled information to help youth with special needs locate resources to help them succeed. Follow the links below to learn more about resources to assist you in your transition to independent living.
South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department – Youth Services
The SC Vocational Rehabilitation Department offers an array of free services for youth with physical, intellectual, and learning disabilities including:
• School-to-work transition services
• High school/high tech program
• Assistive technology, such as Live Scribe smart pen
• Youth leadership forum for high school juniors and seniors
• Job shadowing opportunities
• Employer mentoring
• Continued VR counselor support after youth are working
• LIFE and Reach programs at 2-year and 4-year post-high school institutions
• Financial assistance to attend post-high school institutions
Click here SC Vocational Rehabilitation Department-Youth Services to learn more.
Able South Carolina – Independent Living for All
Able South Carolina provides youth transition services and advocates on behalf of
youth with disabilities to get them the education they need in the least restrictive
Visit http://www.able-sc.org/youth-services/ to learn about resources and opportunities that can assist youth with disabilities in achieving their education goals.
Transition Alliance of South Carolina
The Transition Alliance of South Carolina works to empower students with intellectual and developmental disabilities to be active decision-makers and participants in their daily school and community environments. The organization hosts conferences, trainings and transition fairs statewide for youth and adults. To read about upcoming events go to http://transitionalliancesc.org/events.